Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been Looking at buying a 38ft project boat built By Signature Marine. Apperently a company owned by Tom Adams...???? I Like the boat, I like the Look, But I want to know some backround on it.. Can someone shed some light ?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
GeeZ whats with you and the projects dude?
Granted I have complete confidence in your abilities to do one and FAST and nicely finished with great attention to detail.
Might loose your wet sander though hehehehee

Honestly it does not ring a bell so I can not be of any help on this one sorry

·
Registered
961 Posts
Signature.... I looked at an older one not too long ago. It was a 27 footer that used to be raced here locally. The one I looked at was definitely a race boat... 3-man bolsters with no seating for passengers and three fuel bladders that made up the area under the bow.

Signature had some history from back in the old days of 188th street. They were a good boat in the late 70's, but needed a lot of power to run well. The 27 was, I think, based on a Magnum hull. The 38 was Bertram, I think (from what I've read anyway).

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Talk to Peppe at Pantera boats his son used to race a 38 footer a few years back. They were fast hulls and the 38 had a 27* bottom if I remember correctly. There was one in Iowa a few yeas back but had too many projects and decided didn't need another

·
Registered
961 Posts
That baby has been around the block for a while... I think it's been passed up on because of the level of work needed to restore.

From what I've heard about this boat on OSO and other places, it's going to need a transom, stringers, floor, etc. It looks like a very long term project!

You'll need engines, transmissions, and drives.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My Dad's throttleman had a 38 Signature way back in the day. Had the biggest motor you could get back then(600 HP). It was still pretty slow and did not handle well according to my Dad and the T-man, who was a set-up extroadinnaire BTW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd stay away. Looks like more work than its worth.

That 31 excel on here is a steal tho. Wish it was next year at this time and it would be in my driveway!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Signature

The owner of Signature, Tommy Adams, was driving down I-95 in south florida, two cars pulled up next to him, and blew him away. After screwing a lot of his new boat customers out of their boats and money, he finally screwed with the wrong guy. Times were different back in the 80's in south florida. He built them at the end of N.E. 188th Street(Thunderboat Row, Offshore Alley) in N. Miami Beach, now renamed: Aventura, Florida. The boats were over-built to a fault. EXTREMELY heavy compared to the compititions boats, therefore the slowest in their class. The 27 and 32 came from 24 degree bottom Aronow hulls, unchanged, as did most other manufacturers boats of the day. I would'nt own a Signature, if you gave it to me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We had the original Signature 38' molds back in the early 90s. My Father and I built a few of them. I raced this one with my customer out of Ohio. It was powered by twin 1100 HP Dean Gellner blower motors. It was fast !

Also we were located back in the early to mid 90s at 3205 N.E. 188 ST. in Thunder boat Row which was at one time the Signature Marine building.

Regards,

JO

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Usedtoskidoo-
Ever come up around the Simcoe area? what are you running with?

But the Signature. Although it looks like an Intresting boat, I Think Im going to Pass on it . Thanks for your Input guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
HumminCummins said:
Usedtoskidoo-
Ever come up around the Simcoe area? what are you running with?

But the Signature. Although it looks like an Intresting boat, I Think Im going to Pass on it . Thanks for your Input guys.

I have a cottage up north. So I pass Simcoe every weekend!

Just have a little Baja Bowrider for now. Going bigger in a year.............

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the original Signature 38' molds back in the early 90s. My Father and I built a few of them. I raced this one with my customer out of Ohio. It was powered by twin 1100 HP Dean Gellner blower motors. It was fast !

Also we were located back in the early to mid 90s at 3205 N.E. 188 ST. in Thunder boat Row which was at one time the Signature Marine building.

Regards,

JO
Jo, I know this boat. I believe your customer was Dale Sowinski out of Akron Ohio. I was on a few races in that boat in the mid 90's. I would love to see a few pics of it. That boat was a wild ride, as a 17 year old kid. I wasn't there on Lake X that day but I remember him tell me about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts