Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

what do you love about where you boat?

4K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Rattlesnake Jake 
#1 ·
Looking at the dog thread and seeing the pic of insptech's Chesapeake Bay Retriever made me think of how special the Chesapeake Bay is and how much we love boating there (even on the windy days).

what's great about where you boat and why do you love it do much?

- jeff

#3 · (Edited)
I think the Mississippi River might be a little like Chesapeake Bay that you can run for miles and miles, but on much calmer water.
We really don't have bays or coves, but there are thousands of sloughs to get lost in and plenty of sandbars to beach at.
The scenery is great and river towns are fun.
The only drawback is waiting for barge traffic at the locks, and the everchanging water levels. But if you like wildlife, there are bald eagles soaring above the bluffs, beaver and otters at play in the water, and if you're lucky, you might see a whitetail deer swimming across a slough ! Some sections of the muddy miss are like a step back into time !!! :)

In this photo the river is about 2 miles wide looking north along the west channel. The east channel is out of view, but there are hundreds of islands and sloughs in between. This is just south of McGregor, Ia. Prairie Du Chien, Wisc. would be at the far right in the photo.

Attachments

#5 ·
I like Lake Michigan because it's never the same place twice ( or in the same day for that matter ) Conditions always changing makes for keeping the drivers from being bored. From Chicago we can be in Indiana in minutes, Michigan, or Wisconsin in a half hour, and lets face it,,, you can go from Chicago to Canada if ya wanted,,, and we can get to the other great lake from up North .Talk about not having to see the same thing twice !!!!

#9 ·
I gotta post for the 1000 ilds boys and girls. This area would take years and years to see every cove , bay, town, beach. never bored. Always lots of boats and competition. Have meet many people down there. My parents have moved there. I believe one of the most picturest places on earth, or at least in north America. Where the only difference between north and south is the little flag at the front of your boat. Big water, small water, what ever your looking for it just depends on where you go. I mean they even run these flat bottom air boats in the winter, and party at the same coves and beaches we do in the summer! Something I think every one should try and see once. As for lake st Clair, I will be visiting it in July, can't wait :D

#10 ·
Although I live very close to Lake Michigan, and would love to explore there, Scotty the engineer told me, "she just can't take it Cap't., she just won't hold together!" (The Enterprise that is)

So my favorite spot is the Bay of Green Bay. And I like it for the same reasons obnoxus likes the big pond.

Some of the best Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike fishing IN THE WORLD!!!

The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Pics are forthcoming!

I can go east to Packer Country. (Green Bay) Across the Bay to Menominee, MI. Or up the peninsula to the historic towns of Door County.

And if there's a NW wind, or it's just plain windy, there are three bays I can go hide in.

And of course, a few nice beaches.

And lots of places to get a burger or a cold one. With lots of live entertainment on the weekends. (Music you guys!)

And the water is crystal clear. (Zebra Mussels)

And I can get to the big pond, through the channel, in Sturgeon Bay

Other than that, I get to the Mississippi River once every other year. That's awesome.

Didn't take me long to get sick of the small lakes where you take 10 laps and get sick of the same old sights.

Warp one Scotty, engage!

#14 ·
Smith Lase in Alabama has many fingers, but main lake exceeds 40 miles. Sipsey river spring fed-up to 300 feet deep-very clear water. Can be up to your neck and see your toes. Not crowded. Pick your own private cove. 100 miles from home.

Pickwick Lake-not as clean, more action. go up river and boat to Knoxville, TN. Go down river-actually North, and boat to KY Lake-Ohio river to Mississippi River.

When I was a kid, we went to LOTO and Gravios Mills. caught a lot of white bass. Boat was a 16 foot wood Sporstcraft with a 35 Evinrude.

Anytime your out on the water is a good time.

#16 ·
Well, you know where I love to boat. As long as you got a little length and freeboard you can pretty much go where you want when you want. And almost every river has some type of activity on it so you don't have to get out on the Bay if it's snotty. Heck, I have spent some of my favorite times within 3 miles of the marina. Try reading your kid to sleep and then enjoying a drink and a cigar while anchored in a small quiet cove. It doesn't get much better. Unless you go to Red Eye's on Sunday:D

Oh and BTW-Kira is a black Lab, Bays only come in brown:)

#18 ·
Got any Brown Dye?

insptech said:
Well, you know where I love to boat. As long as you got a little length and freeboard you can pretty much go where you want when you want. And almost every river has some type of activity on it so you don't have to get out on the Bay if it's snotty. Heck, I have spent some of my favorite times within 3 miles of the marina. Try reading your kid to sleep and then enjoying a drink and a cigar while anchored in a small quiet cove. It doesn't get much better. Unless you go to Red Eye's on Sunday:D

Oh and BTW-Kira is a black Lab, Bays only come in brown:)

#20 · (Edited)
The Pacific Northwest can be a truly great place to boat when the weather is nice. There are hundreds of miles of coast lines and plenty of places to go to. This is Seattle in the back ground, The stadium on the left ids the new football stadium, yet un-named, built by Paul Allen, and Safeco on the right.
3 Advantage's, my Checkmate, Wellcraft, and a Warlock Cat. photo taken from a Panchanga.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.