Votes: 2 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets take a little poll here to see what brand (and model if you want to tell us) that everyone uses.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I have a garmin 162. It's cool and fits well on my dashboard. The buttons are big, so it's easy to press them while you're hopping from the top of one wave to the next.

Attachments

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Who needs a GPS? you guys get lost a lot or what???:laugher:

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well I ain't got no wife to blame on forgeting the maps, I guess I need me one of them there GPS thingy's then huh??????

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
GPS ???
Been running the Mississippi River for 30 years, if I don't know where I'm at by now, I'm in serious trouble! :D

But I do see a lot of others that get lost back in the Sloughs ! :(

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
get lost?

No - we boat a lot at night and the GPS comes in real handy on the Chesapeake Bay.

I don't know how many of you guys are river boaters, but the Chesapeake Bay is 15 to 20 miles wide in spots, so you'd might as well be out in the middle of the ocean if you don't have a buoy in sight. The GPS is great for navigating at night and is also great for estimating arrival times.....so I can get the boat tied up and drink even more....

:)

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well I hear ya Jeff, the Bay here isn't that big so it isn't a big deal and even at night it isn't too bad to get around, but when I go out in the Gulf well that is a different story. I do have a GSP it is the GPS76 I have the new GPSMAP76S ordered to take its place. I hope it gets here soon!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Boating at night on the Chesapeake presents some real problems in the sense that there are:
1) a lot of shallow spots
2) thousands of crab pots

The bay at night is like an obstacle course because you want to stay in the channels to stay out of trouble. No crab pots are allowed in channels and there's always plenty of water.

- jeff

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've got a Garmin handheld model 48.
Didn't think I needed one till I got lost one night and nearly ran aground.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Garmin GPS III

Like most it makes night boating much easier. When I lived in NY, where we had normal lighted bouys, and the shoreline it was easy to get around. Living on a dam lake that has no markings at night can get intereasting when you take a nap, and wake up to find it's pich black, or raining.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Rum Runner...

some time I''ll tell you about my Lake Lanier story when Dave Sadowski (Daytona 200 winner & Jefferson Ga, resident) and I went out on the lake one afternoon with a couple of six packs in a friends 21 footer. We dropped anchor right off shore from some gold course club and spent the afternoon diving for golf balls - the winner got $50.

damn him.... he knew all the good cracks and crevices in the rocks on the bottom....

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just bought a Lowrance Globalmap 100 :D Cant wait to use it. Hurry up spring:D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have to say that Garmin is the best.
Their customer service is top notch.
A week ago I was going to check some of thr routes I have stored when I got a warning that the memory backup battery was low on power. I even hadn't had it for a year yet. WTF??
This battery is not user replaceable. I called Garmin, explained my problem and they issued an RMA right then.
Thursday, a week ago, I sent it out and this past Friday I received it back.
They didn't just repair it, they sent me a new GPS.
That was totally unexpected.
Way to go Garmin!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts