Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I searched around on here looking for an answer but couldn't find one. I'm just curious anyone know why Wellcraft makes nothing but fishing boats anymore. :confused: seems to me be back in the 80's wellcraft and sea ray ruled the waters. they had runabout, cruiser, fishing, and of course performance lines that were pretty popular. I know they started to suffer a little bit in the 90's but I still see tons of scarabs on the waters, which I always thought was their real bread and butter. and then "poof" gone. anyone know what's up with that? just bad business? lawsuits? bad sales?
just curious because the Scarab line was always one of my favorites.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wellcraft did good on miami vice, they had a few boats on the TV series. It's sad, those powerful wellcraft speedboats are not around anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
unfortunately the performance boat market declined and as I was told the name Scarab was owned by Larry Smith along with other Scarab copyrighted/trademarked assets and Larry Smith was due $$$ on every Scarab that rolled out the door at Wellcraft and Irwin Jacobs being the smart and astute business man that he is decided it was not in Wellcraft's best interest to continue to build and sell Scarabs.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=irjhc8.2.28

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
OPtimus Prime said:
I think you can still get a Scarab built if you have the coin. That's what I've heard at least. Does anybody know if this is true?
yes, but not by Wellcraft - it will be built by Larry Smith in California

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I heard that Larry Smith isn't interested in building or designing boats anymore but is focused on developing deisel engines to be lighter with more HP and less fuel consumption.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can remember who right now but someone is looking to use the scarab mold. It will not be a scarab but will have a similar hull.

Steve

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Some much RUMOR, not enough fact, it would be really cool if someone could interview the Man - Larry Smith and set the record right once and for all. How about some of our Cali speedwakers hook us up?

I also recently "heard" that Wellcraft would once again be making Scarabs...soon

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Eliminator bought the the Scarab mold , and have two popped already . Do a search on HB . There are some pictures showing the boat.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I knew the scarab name was trademarked by Larry Smith, and I'm sure having to pay out for that gets old but I don't think that ultimately led to the decline of Wellcraft. especially since they still have a center console "scarab" fishing boat in the lineup. besides they could have easily killed off the Scarab name and just named it after some other bug.....like...the wellcraft locust :laugher:

I don't know I guess I just found it to be such a drastic change to kill off not only their performance line but their runabout and cruiser line all at the same time. I mean they probably discontinued like what 20 models in a year? is wellcraft still under the same ownership as before?
I guess its just sad for me since my first powerboat was a 19' wellcraft :unhappy1:

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is an ongoing dispute over trade mark infringement with Abdul bin Alsheeb. He is the owner of the Charlotte company that makes rafts for the whelk fishing industry. His company is called the S.C. Arab Whelk Raft company.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hairy Mary said:
There is an ongoing dispute over trade mark infringement with Abdul bin Alsheeb. He is the owner of the Charlotte company that makes rafts for the whelk fishing industry. His company is called the S.C. Arab Whelk Raft company.

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
4RDETR said:
Sorry for being the new guy but I just had to say that made me spit my water out all over the keyboard!
Obviously didn't have sufficient scotch in it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts