Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
http://teamscarab.com/ Larry smiths line of boats. He is big on diesel power for boats over 40'. The new name is Kona boats.

He had a licensing agreement with wellcraft for use of name and design witch ran out with the company in the 90's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
mirage257 said:
Eliminator bought the the Scarab mold , and have two popped already . Do a search on HB . There are some pictures showing the boat.

here is #1 hull 43 Scaraliminator :cool:

·
John Italiano
726 Posts
I'm so pissed that they quit making Scarabs. I've been a scarab owner for awhile and it has been a pain to get the original parts to keep it maintained. My truck is 31 years old and it's still in original condition. Why couldn't they keep their parts inventory?

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
Anyone know what year GENMAR bought Wellcraft?

When Brunswick bought Sea Ray in 87 the Pachanga product line disapeared pretty quickly.

Genmar also did this with aquasport... just check out the aquasport website. I guess the other 5 brands of fishing boats they already make are enough :laugher:

I wonder if the Scarab performance line was something similar... perhaps the big manufacturers thought they could make a better profit margin on the smaller, family oriented boats over the performance lines.

·
Registered
878 Posts
mirage257 said:
GoCiggie , did you finish your Cig resto ? That boat looks awesome in the second picture .
not yet, seems like a never ending project. :) :) :)
This project was bigger than I planned. The good news is that I do have it running well now and have repaired many of the prior issues.
It's amazing how fast one can burn though money with a project like this. Still having fun though :p:

Thank you for asking.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
kjo43 said:
:

I wonder if the Scarab performance line was something similar... perhaps the big manufacturers thought they could make a better profit margin on the smaller, family oriented boats over the performance lines.
i wonder if it's not easier to find dealers willing to stock several little fish / family boats than the big stuff . i also think reggie played a role in killing the scarab . before the reggie / o/l wars there was the reggie / scarab wars

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
tcob said:
i wonder if it's not easier to find dealers willing to stock several little fish / family boats than the big stuff . i also think reggie played a role in killing the scarab . before the reggie / o/l wars there was the reggie / scarab wars
BINGO! Like I mentioned 25 posts ago, it's all about profit. I asked a local dealer that sells runabouts and fish boats why he doesn't take on some type of performance line. He said they DON'T sell nearly as well.

I've read all about the Scarab naming rights. But, if perf. boats were generating the profits, they could of just came up with a diff. name.

If people did not buy Cheerios, General Mills would not be making them.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
well I'll agree it definately had to be a money thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was for sure a sales thing. (mismanaged money, busted budgets, design failure, excessive R&D, etc.). I think there had to be more to it for the company to completey toss the baby out with the bathwater and eliminate 75% of its lineup, and completely change to focus of the entire company to fishing.
I think Scarabs were popular right up to the day of their extinction. if runabouts and small fishing boats were where all the money was, Formula, Fountain, Velocity, Sunsation, etc. would all be making 18 foot bowriders. in fact it seems to go the other way most manufacturers have eliminated their smaller boats. try finding a 20'-22' cuddy with a performance hull these days...trust me they don't exist! :unhappy1: hence why I'm stuck looking for 10-20 year old boats. :unhappy1:

p.s. those "scaraliminators" are sweet :lick:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well I'll agree it definately had to be a money thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was for sure a sales thing. (mismanaged money, busted budgets, design failure, excessive R&D, etc.). I think there had to be more to it for the company to completey toss the baby out with the bathwater and eliminate 75% of its lineup, and completely change to focus of the entire company to fishing.
I think Scarabs were popular right up to the day of their extinction. if runabouts and small fishing boats were where all the money was, Formula, Fountain, Velocity, Sunsation, etc. would all be making 18 foot bowriders. in fact it seems to go the other way most manufacturers have eliminated their smaller boats. try finding a 20'-22' cuddy with a performance hull these days...trust me they don't exist! :unhappy1: hence why I'm stuck looking for 10-20 year old boats. :unhappy1:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Man those are recent shots??? I like that A LOT...

Give us some more info about them if you can find it?

·
Registered
615 Posts
try finding a 20'-22' cuddy with a performance hull these days...trust me they don't exist! :unhappy1: hence why I'm stuck looking for 10-20 year old boats. :unhappy1: [/B]

I got Baja 232! Yes I know haha! It's got a cuddy, It's 23 foot with swim platform and run pretty good with the 496!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I drive by Wellcraft quite a bit. There's always boats around & allot of activity at the plant.

Chris Craft is about 2 blocks away & man do they have some nice sh!t. (High Dollar)

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
A dealer near me used to keep primarily Donzis on his lot. Last time I was there he had switched to primarily Regal, with a few Donzis. He told me it was too expensive to stock performance boats that didn't move as fast as family boats. It's all about the dollar.

p.s. that #2 hull is sweet.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Yup, it's all about money.

I would ask anyone here to step up and tell me you get up and go to work without making money being at least part of the reason!

Hard to exist as a business or a person without making money in this world!

And that is a good thing!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wellcraft did a phase out of the performance line, I believe in 2000/1 they did away with the 23,26, and 29 and then in 03/04 did away with the 33,38, and the 43. in 2000 the Scarab performance line only accounted for 9% vs. 76 %(fish boats) of Wellcrafts total sales. Then they started to have Larson make the runabouts and the cruisers, Riveria made the 35 and 40 coastals as well as the 38 and 45/47 Excaliber. In fact when the whole transition was done to phase out everything, the "Scarab Sport" name was dropped from the line and changed to 32, 35 CCF, the Scarab sport name was re-introduced for the 07 model year. Guess they got everything worked out from California.

My opinion only but based from dealing with Wellcraft directly(worked at 2 dealers including the largest) for over 10 years was that everyone else was upgrading their hulls and advancing with the times but all they did to the Scarab was introduce AVS which never really got the bugs out due the amount of lawsuits and accidents that occured. I owned a 99 Scarab and curently own a 01 29 Fountain F1, the Scarab weighed 550 more than the Fountain with the same hp but yet I can get the Fountain up to 88 and the Scarab only did 69 with a 40 mph wind pushing it. Looks like Reg did some homework to gain almost 20 mph with the rule of thumb being 1mph per 100 lbs it should only be 6 mph faster. And yes the race boat is stepped, how come they never added one to the 29 Scarab? I dunno

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rock Steady said:
Man those are recent shots??? I like that A LOT...

Give us some more info about them if you can find it?
"GT Performance with twin gas and #6's"
info from hotboat

·
Registered
47 Posts
Newbie Here...

Here's some pix of the first 43' Eliminator getting rigged at the shop....more updates later.

Motors (700's & NTX drives) are in...I'll get some shots this coming week.

#3 was capped a week ago and has an amazing gel scheme...pix soon.

It's gonna get 1075's and #6's... :cool:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts