Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets hear it everyone. What things do you use to keep yourself and others safe while boating. Does everyone wear lifejackets all the time? or only on poker runs? Landyard or kill switches? ETC....

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
karen and I never wear life jackets, although we have them handy. I sometimes wear the lanyard. I've never been in a Poker Run, so I have not been in an event that requires them.

I did wear the life vest one evening in rough water when I dropped Karen off at the Marina and I took the boat the dealer for service and she drove the truck and trailer there to pick me up.

There was a strong wind blowing out of the south right up the bay. waves were about 5 to 6 feet and I put the hammer down. I would have never driven that hard had karen been in the boat with me. The wave frequency was perfect for running along at 55 to 60 and hopping across the tops of the waves.

It was a wild ride. I had to wear my goggles for most of the trip.

- jeff

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Thats a good topic, I will wear the vest's if it is ruff out in the bay, I have the automatic inflatable ones that aren't too uncomfortable to wear. But when we are puttering in and out thru the cut I don't wear them. But they are close at had as I drape them over the back of the seats. As for the kill lanyards I have put em on once or twice and everytime I have wound up killing the engines as I went to grab something or turned around to look at something............

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
For lazy cruising, no vests, but lanyard attached. For bonzi runs, competition type vest is on as well as lanyard attached.
After being tossed out a couple times in small hydros you learn to use the lanyard.
Plus, all non-swimmers and small children wear vests at all times, Rule of the Boat!
Safety is rule #1.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
stuchamp said:
For lazy cruising, no vests, but lanyard attached. For bonzi runs, competition type vest is on as well as lanyard attached.
After being tossed out a couple times in small hydros you learn to use the lanyard.
Plus, all non-swimmers and small children wear vests at all times, Rule of the Boat!
Safety is rule #1.

:)
I agree... even though they can swim, both of my kids wear vests on the boat at all times.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
The boat is equipped with enough life jackets for 10,flare gun,emergency medical kit,whistle and airhorn. Now I do have to admit I do not wear a life jacket or landyard,but all safety equipment is close on hand.Maybe I should re-think this,since I swim like a rock.Oh well,can't live forever.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
So now we know why the Avatar is what it is..... you need a lifesaver all the time huh???:laugher: :laugher:

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Hey tanned a buddy once said to carry the ones in cans as they float:D :D it is a really good idea I think extra flotation would be nice..:laugher: Also women with big boobs helps to natural flotation devices:chase: :winker:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I always wear the lanyard, but hardly ever wear my jacket unless I'm pushing it hard by myself, or in a Poker Run. Kids always wear jackets if the boat is moving more than 5MPH

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Speaking of safety devices.....

Did you guys hear about Steve Coulum (owner of HTM boats)?
In January, he and 4 other guys were testing a new HTM and crashed it at well over 100 mph! Seems no one was wearing a lifejacket and last I heard, no one has been found...
If that doesn`t make you think more about safety, nothing will.

I admit I don`t usually wear a lifejacket or a lanyard, but will most likely do so, at least when I`m running balls out.

Here in Texas, it`s a state law that kids 12 and under must wear flotation device anytime they are in the boat, moving or not.

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE SUMMER!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Speaking of safety devices.....

DonMan said:
and last I heard, no one has been found...
They found everyone and raised the boat off the bottom of the lake too. Definataly not good!!

This whole incident is what started this topic in my mind. How much is enough and what it too much. Need to balance the safety and comfort for everyone to make it an enjoyable time.
Just wondered what everyone else thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts