Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I spent all this money on this motor I want to run the best in my new 454 mag. Whats everyone running for oil and a filter, what weight, and how often are you changing?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Oh boy here we go! Get the popcorn! :D

I run Walmart brand filters and oil. I prefer straight SAE 10 weight as the thinner oil allows my motor to spin more rpm and in turn giving me 2-3 more mph. I change it about every 3 years or 300 hours whichever comes first. :laugher:

I also run Merc stuff, 25-40 synthetic blend and I change it every 20-25 hours.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I broke my engine in on Rotella 15-40 conventional. and I run Mobil 1 15-50 silver cap, with Mobil 1 302 filter or a hastings 279.

Any good quality oil dyno or synthetic. I was thinking of running Valvoline 20-50 Racing but at Walmart Mobil 1 is about the same price.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My opinions:
If you go mineral use Rottella T 15/40.
Synthetic Choices are Royal Purple 15/40 or Amsoil.

I use Rottella till "broken in" (20 hrs min or one season) then switch to Purple. But usually change it once a season because I don't normally put more than 30 hrs of run time on it.
I also use a Federated filter from the local parts store. They're made by Hastings.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
this willl be fun catsrol 20~50 because the previous owner did and because when I rebuilt a previous motor Mike at Active Engines in Ontario recomended it, that motor still purs (dad's boat), and I run merc filters simply because I havent been able to cross the numbers yet and west marine is a conveinent as the auto store

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Why run a different oil to break in ur motor then switch?
Many people believe that synthetics are "too slippery" for break-in. But my Volvo GXi came with synthetic from the factory as do most hi-performance cars. So, it's an open debate much like which brand oil is better. :D

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Valvoline VR1 20-50 and Mobil One or Napa Gold oil filter.

Have maybe 30 hours on the motor and it is on its third oil change. Cheap insurance!!!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Right now i am running Joe Gibbs BR and Wix filters. BR is a 15-40. After that i will run Rotella and Wix filters. I need to keep my Flat tappet alive!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I run with Merc. 25W-40 & Merc oil filter, and I only change it all at the end of the season.. So I look at it this way, how much would I really save if I used anything else?? well the answer for me is, not much. and I Know I'm getting a quality product designed for my engine..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Straight 40 w Royal purple, napa Gold. I am going to have an oil analysis performed later this year for wear particles, and viscosity, I will report back with the info.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts