Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 89 Baja Sunsport 17.5ft and needless to say it does not like anything over a 1 ft swell AT ALL....other than the obvious things what do you look for in boats to handle larger waves....Is there a weight a bow depth range that ia good? I dont want tomsething that rocks real bad if someone walks from one side to the other while sitting either....Been look ing at something 25+ft....Im just not sure what is physically good to look for in schematics.

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
look for a 24* hull deadrise to eliminate pounding. You'll need something with a minimum 8' beam to help limit the side by side rocking. The 25 foot length will be plenty of boat to handle 1' waves.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
My Libby is like a plow. It punches right through waves
I agree anthing with a 24* deadrise. My 21' cuts through and rides better than many boats much longer. Depending on your budget look around for a 25 Baja Outlaw or a 24-25 Checkmate Convincer. Stay away from the BAJA H2X they are 24' but dont have a good deadrise. A friend of mine had one, and they dont ride good at all.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Deep V first. Even a light weight boat with a nice sharp deep V can ride well.

weight. Heavier boats like sweet emotions liberators will slice and plow right through stuff.

Length, the longer the boat, the easier it will bridge from one wave to the next instead of bouncing up and down between them.

Set up, as mentioned, a good set up is key, weight balance, front to back and side to side, good steering, trim tabs (to help in both making the boat feel longer and also keeping the bow from going sky high), etc

Twins as mentioned may or may not help, if the boat is big enough to handle the weight of twins then it will help, otherwise it may just make the boat stern heavy and ride like crap.

There are many variables.....

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I agree it's all about the deep v/deadrise, and tabs will be a big help too
my brother in-law has a 23' cuddy and I feel like I get my teeth knocked out compared to the ride of my 22' he's technically got about another 2' of hull lenght but I run another 2 degrees of V. it may not sound like alot but on the water it's night and day.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
lilemmick said:
I currently run a 89 Baja Sunsport 17.5ft and needless to say it does not like anything over a 1 ft swell AT ALL....other than the obvious things what do you look for in boats to handle larger waves....Is there a weight a bow depth range that ia good? I dont want tomsething that rocks real bad if someone walks from one side to the other while sitting either....Been look ing at something 25+ft....Im just not sure what is physically good to look for in schematics.
A wider boat(8' beam) will be more stable side-to-side but the narrow boat will "slice" through the waves. There is a lot more to it than just the deadrise. Weight, balance, deadrise, strakes, reverse strakes, hook, rocker, beam, etc, etc. I will admit getting the right combo(from a builder's perspective) is a lot of work!

Do you need any amenities? Large cuddy, porti-potti, sink, etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love the Baja Outlaws and SOnics....friend of mine has a sonic with twin 454 30ft and we were plowing through those 2-3.5ft swells runnin 60+....Where do your find the deadrise degree? As far as amenities go. I would love to have a cuddy on my next boat and a bathroom would be nice but not a requirement....I'm bout to say screw it all and get a house boat lol....I'm not overly worried bout gas on this boat (but lets be reasonable) because I plan on mostly using it for the long trips our group takes about once a month and keep the little 17.5 baja for local weekend island cruising

·
Registered
181 Posts
You need the Deep V baby, and something with a high freeboard! I wasn't a believer until I took a ride in the Baja I ended up buying. 240 Sport, same hull as a 24 Outlaw and it handles the big stuff great. Slices right through 2 footers or less and I've had it out in some big stuff. You get beat up pretty bad in the 4 footers and up but you still feel safe doing it.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
blackhawk said:
Freeboard is nice for a secure feeling but isn't necessary for performance. Some of the best rough water boats in the 25-30' range have low freeboard.
Agreed. My boat has pretty low freeboard at 24'. Until I start to get into Big 3's and into the 4's and 5's freeboard isn't an issue. At 24' I don't care what boat your in true 3's and 4's are pretty big and the added freeboard will not make the boat perform better, handle better or go faster, but it will make you feel a little more secure and will also resist stuffing a little better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.