Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These boats just keep on impressing me. But we all have some little thing we would change. Mine only complaint is with the bed! When you spend as much as we do for these things we shouldn't have to go out and buy bed foam , or pull the padding out to have it reupholstered softer. I didn't really notice this last year because all of my other boats were the same. Then My buddy, this year bought himself a used Fountain ( sorry to compare ) and the bed was impressive. Only the bed though! Many of you guys probably do not use your bed, I do. This is just my opinion:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Jeff, Karen and I bought a large piece of 2 inch foam and cut it to fit the v-berth then Karen custom tailored a sheet to fit over it. Sleeping on the boat is really nice now!. However I agree that the standard cushion, while softer than any other boats we looked at is not optimal for comfortable sleeping.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd change it because the thickness is great for casual lounging, but not for sleeping.

other than that, they other thing I'd change is switching to a 900SC motor from the 496/HO :) haha!

- jeff

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of doing the same thing to the bed. Maybe we can get a deal on 2 900sc, hey beter yet lets go with the 1050!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
too bad sunsation doesn't build the engines...
trying to get deals out of Mercruiser is like trying to jerk-off a wild bobcat.... aint going to happen....

;) jeff

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
I would also add a 'glove compartment' somewhere in the cockpit area. It's such a pain to have to dive down into the birth and open a cabinet every time we need sunscreen, charts, binoculars, or radio. Maybe it was an option that we didn't see, but I sure wish we had one now.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Attn MS.GEB..my wife had the same complaint about the storage.What we did was to get a bicycle pack (the one that goes under the seat) and strap it onto the back of the port seat.we keep wallets,keys and misc registrations in there.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Thanks enigma... that's a good idea and it will help with Jeff's keys and wallet.

It would still be nice to have a weather-proof, lockable spot where bigger stuff like charts, binoculars and hand-held radio can be safely stowed out of the weather but easily accessible when you need them. Since Jeff's boat is a single engine, I often look at the unused panel in front of me and think what a great spot for storage... all it needs is a door! I wonder if Dave will see this thread...

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
well....what you guys don't know is that "panel" is there to cover a hole in the mold for a glovebox. Sunsation tried putting a glove box there and it did not work out very well for reasons unknown to me.

- jeff

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Probably can't get the curved door to open correctly..plus it would be a really wide possibly flimsy one at that!:laugher:and you know the "SUNSATION BOYS" wouldn't stand for that!!!

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Hey, as long as they could stamp a SUNSATION logo on it, I'd think the Sunsation guys could do anything!!! :D

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm with you Green, hey if sonic can do it, sure as hell Sunsation can. Sonic calls theirs a cooler( now theres an idea).:D Not to pick on the boats guys but I would also like to see the batteries on the other side. Maby it's just me but I like my boat to float level when I'm not in it. Seen many pictures of us all tie up and anchored at some beach or cove and theres my boat sideways! :rolleyes: I'll attempt that job soon, has anyone of you guys done this?

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I'd relocate my fresh water holding tank to the other side and leave the batteries where they are. The only downside is that I'd put about another 100 lbs or so in the back. I've spoken to Dave at Sunsation about this and it's best under the rear seat although I'd prefer to have the room, I'll take better handling to have it located where it is.

Enigma, did you know there's a reason for mounting the engine slightly off center?

YUP. I spoke to the Sunsation guys at length about this....

Maybe Dave will be kind enough to put it into his own words as to why the engine is slightly offset.

:) - jeff

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats an idea Jeff, but two things. I can not relocate my fresh water to the other side because I've installed a sub there for the stereo. Also I don't use it. Besides would that small amount of weight really make a diff? I'm going to stick to my original plan, or install two more Batt, havn't decided. If Dave is going to explain of the engine off side maby he can explain the glove box/cooler possible option.:confused:

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Jeff,

Is that a Mitcher T New Logo Design?, has his flavor to it.

The motor offset is to counter the tourque of the engine when your "airborn" so the boat will re enter the water level rather than be twisted by the tourque and land un even.

Hope this clears some confusions - the 32 is also set that way as well as the 25 Aggressors.

Some one mentioned that dash glove box area and they were correct with the curved door problem. We do offer a new glove box option with redesigned kick panels and glove box area.
Now, for you Tim Allens out there with 32's and 288's , we can offer you the parts, door, hinges, trim moldings, etc to change your panel into a glove box, but it is somewhat of chore and has some cost due to the fact every piece is custom made. If your interested, give me a call - 810-794-4888

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Dave...Are you kidding me?
They're now collectors items!!!

Jeff never forgets who his friends are...

You'll see - very soon in fact.

by the way: Where do I return my 2001 Sunsation288 now that's it's been replaced with a 2002 Sunsation 288 ???

see how rediculous it sounds?

:)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't get that anywhere else that I have herd. By the way guys not trying to knock the boats at all, just feeling out other owners. If I was building boats I'd want to know what could be improved. Thats pretty good that we only came up with a softer bed and a glove box!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts