Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people keep their boats at home????? If not where???
How do you store it?: Inside,heated,outside,shrink wrapped?

Mine is stored at my house. I have close to a acre of property so room is not an issue. I like the fact of coming home after a sh*t day and seeing it parked. It reminds me why I go to work.
(besides the eating thing)
I store it outside with just its mooring cover.I hope to someday build a place big enough to park it inside and be able to work on it during our long winter months.Just pulled it from the side of my house to its spring/summer home. My driveway. My neighbors love me:lick:

·
Registered
144 Posts
My two boats, Polaris PWC, and the 1 ton are in my shed. Soon I hope to build a shop with a heated floor so I can wrench on the toys in the winter.:D

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
See: Jeff's post 'Boats in driveway for ours'.

My neighbors really loved us when we had 3, or was it 4, boats in the back yard, but it was hard moving them around when it was muddy. Now that we're down to 2, we switched to parking them in the driveway, but the kids complained they couldn't play basketball or ride bikes around them, so we had a special boat parking pad added beside the driveway... now everyone's happy (not sure about the neighbors, though!).

I did lose 1 tree in a late-night boat parking mishap, but otherwise it's worked out great and saved us from the marina sharks! :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I have mine sitting in the garage. Barely fits:D Good thing it fits cause there isn't any where else to put it. Damn city living:mad:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I left both of mine out this winter. The sunsation and the stingers have a full covers and the weather has been really mild.

I did a lot of research and no one could tell me if the plastic shrink wrapping actually blocked ultra violet rays (which cause dulling of the gelcoat) and no one I spoke with could say yes - all they'd say is that it protected the boat (DUH!).

Karen and I put a coat of wax on the Sunsation on a warm day in december so it's protected and the little moisture thingys that I have inside the boat have hardly collected any moisture. The top of the full cover is vented to allow air circulation.

My personal feelings are that unless proven wrong; shrink wrap actually promotes the build up of moisture inside due to a lack of air circulation.

Any other opinions?

- jeff

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Hi gang:bandit: I keep my toys all inside. I have a 50x100 building out behind the barn that has heat so they stay nice and warm in the winter and I have on bay with ac so I stay cool in the summer when I work on em. I agree with Jeff on the shrink wrapping, I guess I might do it if I lived up north where it snows a lot and I din't have a place to keep it inside. But since I live where it never really snows I guess I will not have to worry about it huh?:laugher:

·
Registered
32 Posts
A good friend of mine used to work at a large marina in Canada and said the same thing....never shrink wrap a boat.....promotes moisture if not vented properly and the boat must be completely dry inside when wrapped. He should know, they used to shrink wrap hundreds of boats a year. Seems to me that you are better off with just a good quality mooring cover (it breathes and won't retain moisture in the boat). Just an opinion!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mine is stored in an unheated (and unoccupied) horse barn in the winter. During the boating season it lives on the trailer next to the house.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Mine is in a cave........wuth dehumidifiers. 59 degrees year round, prolly be there for about 3-4 weeks more. I have to go today and get a bench seat I had recovered in october.....if they still have it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Currently outside where I lease my shop, but the shop isn't big enough for the boat. In the summer it is in the driveway, but currently the Arctic Cats reside there. Yes my neighbors probably love me too!!!:laugher:

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
laster said:
Mine is stored in an unheated (and unoccupied) horse barn in the winter. During the boating season it lives on the trailer next to the house.
Ditto...until I find a bigger warehouse for the business, then it will be parked next to my office :p:

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
My boat is kept in a rented 12x60 warehouse stall, along with my `70 Skylark.
I leave it in my driveway for a few days at a time during the summer in between lake trips....
One of my "elderly" neighbors bitched about it sitting there once. My other neighbor said: "I like it sitting there, it`s a nice boat, wish I had one just like it to park in my drive".....

Can`t wait till I buy a home on the lake....Soon!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
I hear Donman I had the problem of the folks who lived by me complaining about everything I did from my boat to my race cars to my dogs, That is why I bought 175 acres and now nobody can say a stinking thing to me:gunner: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
We are looking to relocate to a nearby lake for just such reasons. Trouble is, our favorite lake is nearly 2 hours away and real estate there is unbelievably expensive. My wife and I discuss it almost daily. Every time I get into an altercation with my neighbor, it makes me want to move even more....
Why can`t everyone just be like us boaters and just CHILL !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Had to add this.......

Excuse me while I vent for a moment.....

ME::gunner:
My neighbor::eek:

:gunner: :eek:

There, I feel better now.....

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
I hear ya, I got fed up with it also and Sold the house bought the land and have never been happier, I was on the water and had a boat lift but it was too small for my boat. I was gonna build a new lift for my boat but the folks kept me pissed off, if not the ones next door it was the home owners association.............Damn I am glad to be gone from there:bandit: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The City I live in took me to court and fined me $100.00 for parking my boat in my driveway. I hate this city I can't wait to move......I guess the guy down the street with the boke down cars on blocks make our city look better thn a pleasure craft that is out about 5 months a year.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tanned fat, after living in my house for almost 15 years (sort of a rural area) I too got harassed for my boat on the driveway. They said it could not be parked in front of the furthest wall of the house. I had to move it to the side of my house. The funny thing is it was as visable there as it was in front. I then proceeded to put 4x8 signs with neon letters proclaiming my displeasure to the county or neighbor for making me move it.. The county told me I had too take down the signs too,another ordinance.

Finally after numerous hassles,I proceeded to put 8000 watts of light shining on my boat at night. Since I live in a area with no lighting,my YELLOW and Black pride and joy stood out like a sore thumb.

When summer came I again put the boat back on the driveway,guess what the county did not say anything all summer. Imagine that:gunner:

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
1boatnut

Thats a damn good idea man!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts