Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like every time I anchor and go for a swim if there are any waves my bilge ends up running every once in a while. How does water get in there? Is it normal? I do have a dog that likes to get up and shake all her water off but it's pumping more water than what would be coming off of her.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could be bellows. When mine went bad it was just a tear. with drive down, no water. With drive trimmed up at anchor I would get some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you have only thru hull exhaust, there is a plate that blocks off the thru prop exhaust port at the bottom of the drive inside the engine compartment. This plate with its o-ring can leak. Following seas or waves can aggravate the leak. On some boats it is not that easy to access with the engine in.
RTV will seal it good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I recall, you had an outdrive fluid leak a while back. I'd check everything you took apart and reassembled related to the drive / gimbal mount. Of course if you had the water leak before you fixed the sterndrive fluid leak then you can ignore this idea...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, bellows first. Outdrive water hose second. Y connector plate last...it's boitch with the engine in, in a single, and impossible in a twin.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Sounds more like where the tiller arm comes through. A load in the rear of the boat or a beached bow and low stern combined with waves causes this to be submerged and sometimes leak. I have two perfect examples of this :( .

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
could be part number 14 a upper shaft pin, these tend to corode and leak water, me and 3 others in our group had to do them this year, for a better pic go onto bamonline and pull up part num 98230a1

Attachments

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I think 15 is the rubber that gos onto the shaft, stupid design

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
89donzi said:
could be part number 14 a upper shaft pin, these tend to corode and leak water, me and 3 others in our group had to do them this year, for a better pic go onto bamonline and pull up part num 98230a1
Would it make sense that it only leaks when the drive it all the way up in that case? It never leaks when the drive is down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts