Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a very hard time finding things like, transom bolts for early Bravo1 and reasonable ss lock nuts for the drive mounts etc.

Anyone have info on a good CHEAP resource for marine parts????????

Help :confused:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
aquaforce said:
I am having a very hard time finding things like, transom bolts for early Bravo1 and reasonable ss lock nuts for the drive mounts etc.

Anyone have info on a good CHEAP resource for marine parts????????

Help :confused:

Well im not sure if what you are looking for is specal to the marine industry. If they are just typical SS then im sure a place like Fastenall has them or can order them.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to check with Fastenall tomorrow for my ss nuts. I found out that some stuff is only carried by dealers :angry1: :angry1: and not available in the aftermarket.

The lower transom bolts in this early Bravo1 have studded heads for the screw on anodes and they are not available in Sierra. :angry1: :angry1:

I may just skip the annode thing in that location since the boat has both active and passive systems on it and just get some ss bolts from Fastenall there too. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dealers act like this stuff is gold trying to get full list price. I never pay full list and I'm not going to start now :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
aquaforce said:
I'm going to check with Fastenall tomorrow for my ss nuts. I found out that some stuff is only carried by dealers :angry1: :angry1: and not available in the aftermarket.

The lower transom bolts in this early Bravo1 have studded heads for the screw on anodes and they are not available in Sierra. :angry1: :angry1:

I may just skip the annode thing in that location since the boat has both active and passive systems on it and just get some ss bolts from Fastenall there too. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dealers act like this stuff is gold trying to get full list price. I never pay full list and I'm not going to start now :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

Yeah I agree. I remember needing solenoids for my outdrive and pricing them from a marine dealer. I was like he77 no. They wanted something like $30+ a piece. I just went to napa and bought 2 ford style for under $10 and went about my day.

bolts are even worse. I guess alot of people dont realize that alot of this stuff is nothing more than automotive chit slapped in a boat. So they buy direct from a marine dealer..

you may also try lowes for your SS nuts and bolts. The one around here has a descent selection.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that there are differences in grades of steel and SS so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with something that won't hold properly and I don't know what Merc standards are for their fasteners. At the same time I don't want to pay for some high rollers yacht with a single purchase of items that are EXTREMELY overpriced due to the word MARINE.

Something's gotta give. :unhappy1: :unhappy1: :unhappy1:

Does anyone know what grades of SS merc lock nuts are for holding the drive on?

·
Registered
398 Posts
at Fastenall if they dont carry it or cant order it, they will make it.. I had a stepped stud i needed and they couldnt find one so they had it made in a weeks time.. my try that as a last resort.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
aquaforce said:
I understand that there are differences in grades of steel and SS so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with something that won't hold properly and I don't know what Merc standards are for their fasteners. At the same time I don't want to pay for some high rollers yacht with a single purchase of items that are EXTREMELY overpriced due to the word MARINE.

Something's gotta give. :unhappy1: :unhappy1: :unhappy1:

Does anyone know what grades of SS merc lock nuts are for holding the drive on?
that brings up a good question. Is there a difference in grade for stainless steel. I have never seen stainless graded before.

·
Registered
550 Posts
206LSdrvr said:
There are at least 2 grades of SS that I know of, 304 and 316. Have no idea what the difference is.
The 316 is better, has some Moly in it. Most of the 300 series are pretty good for normal marine applications.

The best stainless is the Nickel and Copper based alloys like the Monels and Inconel's. Used mostly on surface ships and especially Sub Surface.

We used to make maybe 60 different kinds of "Stainless Steel".

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Aquaforce, When we lived in TN I used to get parts from Doug Russell Marine in MA. Their prices were usually a couple of dollars cheaper than Bam and the service I have gotten from them has been good.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally found one good way to get 316SS nylon lock nuts, Fastenall. They list their 316 as marine grade since it has more nickel than the 306. Have to buy in a bag of 100 but I can get them for .60 cents each. Far better than 2.89 each :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The bottom bolts for early bravos w/ zinc are actually an anodic bolt. That's why they are pricey.As far as pricing goes smaller merc dealers don't get big discounts because you don't buy in big volume. I actually have two large dealers that I deal with that can sell to me CHEAPER than I can buy from Mercury direct. :confused: They have also changed shipping and drop shipping costs to us. Internet has hurt alot of small shops due to big stores discounts and wrongful use of net to sell parts. That being said I will sell anyone who is a Speedwake member and supporter parts @ 20 off plus shipping. Part has to come to then shipped to you so I don't get into to much trouble. If Ok w/ Jeff I don't want to step on anyones shoes who pay's to advertise here.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curtisprops, thanks.

I will keep that in mind for a short list of things I still need.

Since I have both active and passive anode systems on my boat I am thinking to just use some stainless bolts for the two lowers and run it.

Any thoughts pro or con to this idea?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thats not a problem. They are 1/2 -13 by 4.00" bolts. If you dont have the rubber seals for the use 3M 4200 to seal the heads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts