Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 4 stroke 9.9 for the cottage that I rent out all summer and rarely get to go to.

Any idea on what a decent price is on a Yamaha or Honda or is Merc just as good?

It'll be run far far away so purchase location is not much of a concern, but in Michigan would be a bonus.

Anyone?.........................thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know of a barely used 1997 Nissan 8 HP that my dad no longer uses with fuel tank, he may be willing to part with. It is however a 2 stroke. If you are interested let me know. Located in South Lyon, MI.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
From past experience, I would go with a used 2 stroke 9.9 from back in the day from OMC or Merc. We got a new 08 merc 9.9 4 stroke now and its been in the shop 7 times already in 3 months. POS in my opinion. I'll never buy one again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My friend has a 4 stoke 9.9 Johnson. Not sure who makes it, but lots of problems. Not really engine related, but other parts of the outboard have been giving him problems. Its a sailboat kicker engine too, so very little use for the amount of times it has had to be drug to the shop.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
What ever outboard you get, just don't overfill the gas tank. Diagnosing the running condition from that will make your 10yr old nephew into one bummed out Hombre for a few days. Wanna' know how I know that ?

Just another - "Who woulda' figure ? " :dead: :laugher:

·
Registered
42 Posts
first, i wouldnt be affraid of buying a merc or a johnson just because a few people have had some issues. many people are very happy with the new 4 strokes. Very rarely do I see a four stroke come in with a problem other than user stupidity. for example, storing the small outboards on the wrong side, not stabilzing the gas, or lack of maintenence.
second, dont buy a nissan, nobody likes working on them, and the horsepower rating on the cowling is just a number they have pulled from their rear.
third, dont buy from a boaters world or west marine. All they do is hand you a box and say have fun, no pdi, no registering, and an actual deal isnt going to be happy when you bring it in for a recall or warranty (due to no pre delivery inspection).
sorry for the long winded response, just thought id get that out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The problems apparently that my motor has had was freeze plugs or plugs in the block or head popping out, filling the motor with water. The first time they had to tap the hole and put a plug in it. Next time out, another popped. And so was the 3rd time. Then something with the carb went south and I was stuck having to get a tow in. Its currently in the shop as we speak due to a severe vibration. I should have kept my 78 Johnson 9.9 That bad boy was flawless.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
C team said:
Small size Merc's are built in Japan.
I'm well aware, I hear the bitching and complaining from my unlce who has worked at work for 20+ years about that decision. But the money still comes home to the states.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts