Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
price-name-finishing quality-speed-cabin-handling.

for me it goes like this
1-price
2-handling
3-speed
4-f.quality
5-name(brand)
6-cabin

what do u think?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I will say one thing,,, never buy on price as a priority,,,, 3 months later you will be pouting you didnt spend the extra couple bucks on this or that

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are right but lets say I am looking for a 36 cat ;skater is almost double price of spectre
then I choose spectre....I am not talking about no name boats

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
timucin....some of the considerations depend on where you boat. If you're buying a boat that will be used on a lake and never in rough conditions then I would have to say that rough water handling do not need to be high on the priority list.

Then it depends on how anal you are about the looks of the boat. There are a few manufacturers that make really good looking boats...but they're good looking from a distance. When you start looking at the finish work up close they lose their appeal if you're really particular about every seam and all of the finish work. Without naming names I've looked at a few boats that I would be embarrassed to be seen in, however these boats have beautiful lines and many of them handle rough water really well.

There's a lot parity in speed among the major manufacturers with the exception of Donzi because their boats are heavy for their size. However what they lack in speed they more than make up for in ride comfort.

I would not worry about brand name as long as you are happy with the boat. After owning a string of Wellcrafts (big brand name), I went out on a limb and purchased a boat from Sunsation, a small company that only builds about 100 boats per year....wellcraft probably cranks that out in probably a few weeks. I couldn't be happier with my purchase because of Sunsations attention to detail and rough water handling ability.

If you're seriously considering a Skater I think you're looking at the right boat. No doubt that Skater is much more expensive but this is what I know for a fact; you get what you pay for. If your cat is not going to be taking a hard pounding in rough offshore conditions you probably don't need a skater and there are lots of other boats that will do just fine...take a close look at Awesome powerboats because they have some really great cats and they're represented here on the forum.

Best of luck with your purchasing decision and opinions are plentiful around here. To your advantage, most of us have been boating a long time and have owned numerous boats and there's no substitute for experience.

- jeff

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Easy,Buy the one that attracts the most women....:D

Like Jeff said,if your interested in a cat,look at the Awesome,the owner is right here on the board.Plus they are a custom built boat,so you get what you want,not what the dealer ordered.Just a thought.......Now to the original question

I repeat,get the one that attracts the best looking women:D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1boatnut said:
Easy,Buy the one that attracts the most women....:D

Like Jeff said,if your interested in a cat,look at the Awesome,the owner is right here on the board.Plus they are a custom built boat,so you get what you want,not what the dealer ordered.Just a thought.......Now to the original question

I repeat,get the one that attracts the best looking women:D
Can't argue with that. Trust him. He is the all-knowing post Ho! : D

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
OR...If you already have a woman - purchase the one that also pleases her....

boating on best boat on planet earth is a miserable place if she's ragging on you...
----------------------------------------------------
ps: of course that never happens on my boat :)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Awesome and Sunsation, both Michigan built boats. I have a 25 Sunsation and I have never been in a more solid boat. Everything I looked at I just couldn't beat the price, quality, handling, or speed for the class of boat. But, like was said earlier, different boats for different types of water, west coast sure like their 100mph deck boats and open bows. The great lakes is mostly v hulls with cuddys and numerous cats because of rougher water.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I'm looking a a product, whether it's a boat, car, TV, refrigerator or whatever, I look at overall appearance, quality of construction, features, ability to do what I want it to do, comfort then price. I'll then compare other items in the same price range.
Usually quality of construction will win over the others.
Unless one of the others offers more amenities, or something my first choice doesn't offer, at a slightly lower price.
I am willing to pay slightly more for a product of higher quality because a lot of the times you do get what you pay for.
Do your homework and take your time looking at everything.
Be critical, don't compromise too much.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Iggy said:
When I'm looking a a product, , I look at overall appearance, quality of construction, features, ability to do what I want it to do, comfort then price. I'll then compare other items in the same price range.
Usually quality of construction will win over the others.
Unless one of the others offers more amenities, or something my first choice doesn't offer, at a slightly lower price.
I am willing to pay slightly more for a product of higher quality because a lot of the times you do get what you pay for.
Do your homework and take your time looking at everything.
Be critical, don't compromise too much.

see iggy agrees,this is how FA18Driver shops for women. So ya see,it all ties in:laugher:

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Rule # 1. Always pick the right tool for the job you want it to perform. You might find a quality screwdriver at a great price, but if you need to drive nails-you should have gotten a hammer.

Rule # 2. Then, get the best quality of that tool for the money you have to spend.

Boatnut-rule #1 might be what is causing you to miss some opportunities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts