Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know what kind of wake a 22' Scarab will throw for an avid slalom skier... We're on the hunt for a boat, and one of 3 we're interested in is a '96 Scarab 22 with a 454 and Bravo 1. We're avid slalom skiers and the boat will be used as a general purpose runabout on a large inland lake that gets a 1-2' chop by mid-morning and often has whitecaps by mid-day. I know this boat would be the best of the three where rough water and handling is concerned, I'm just curious what it's like to slalom behind one. Not looking for tournament ski boat styles wakes, but also don't like the idea of a huge wake common to a lot of stern drives. With a performance based hull like this, can you trim out the boat at 30 mph such that it gives you a reasonable wake to slalom behind? I'm assuming we could prop it for great holeshot and acceleration at the expense of top end. Any other concerns on one of these for how we want to use it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
No personal experience, sorry. But...
you could always switch to wakeboard if its too big :)
It always seemed @$$ backwards for wakeboarders to try and take a Mastercraft style (flat to zero wake) boat, and fat sacks and reversed spoiler trim Wings to make make huge wakes for boarding.
Seemed like a deep vee would save half the trouble trying to get the rollers.

·
John Italiano
726 Posts
I have 96 Scarab 22, It does a lot better now. Boat took forever to get on plane, I had issues with the fuel injection so I ripped it all out, simplified it, and put a Holley carb on it. Now the performance is awesome! For slalom skiing you need a long rope to get in clean water, mine is 75 feet. The boat has a nice wake if you are interested in wake boarding with a shorter ski rope. Changed the prop back to a 3 blade 19" pitch. Had a 4 blade 20 or 21, worked good to haul azz but it took about 30 seconds to pop the skier up out of the water with 4 people and coolers.
Posted via Speedwake Mobile

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 96 Scarab 22, It does a lot better now. Boat took forever to get on plane, I had issues with the fuel injection so I ripped it all out, simplified it, and put a Holley carb on it. Now the performance is awesome! For slalom skiing you need a long rope to get in clean water, mine is 75 feet. The boat has a nice wake if you are interested in wake boarding with a shorter ski rope. Changed the prop back to a 3 blade 19" pitch. Had a 4 blade 20 or 21, worked good to haul azz but it took about 30 seconds to pop the skier up out of the water with 4 people and coolers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not sure what is going on with your boat? How many hours on it?
This was my set up
25 prop for speed at 2200 ft elevation efi magnum 385 hp = 78mph on stock speedo, two people in boat 1/4 tank of gas
23 prop for cruising and skiing double boot ski with four people
21 prop , really yanked out skier but way too many RPMs as it kept hitting the rev limiter with four people
Shorten the rope so you are crossing one wake and if you are on edge cutting hard you won't get air time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.