Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Who's ever got the best price

Votes: 14 34.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I see a lot of people trying to sell boats on there own and I know that is mostly so that you'd get more for you boat, but I'd rather just trade it in and not worry about it. That is as long as I get what I owe or what I think its worth. So I'd almost rather buy from a dealer, but figure I'm paying more.

So what do you guys prefer.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I have yet to see a dealer or marina broker that has any prices I'd be interested in. "Skipper Buds" had a 211 Lib a few years ago that I bit the bullet and called on thinking I was desperate for a new boat. The POS sales A$s was just so out of line that I told him off. PO'd that I wasted and 1 drive each way to meet him. Later talked to the boat's actual owner and explained that I would have taken it if it weren't for the salesman...

My .02 I am sure lots of other's have had great deals and service from some great places, but I have gotten the other end. It's a rare occasion that I don't shop private parties for anything used though.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I think private seller, but it all depends... Price is a big factor, and all the overhead associated with a broker or marina, etc...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I vote private for the reasons above, plus I can usually save a chunk on fudging the sales tax (You didnt hear that from me)

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Just like buying a car, I am always leary of something used from a dealer.

If the car/boat is worth buying the other person would have found a buyer and would not have needed to trade it in.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It can go both ways......

I bought my 272 from Great Lakes Marina in Muskegon Mi. Brokered boat Jaime and Ed treated me very well and the boat was exactly he said it was. Ran that thing for 3 years normal maint. GREAT boat good price.

My 311 Private owner Member here and on OSO Good price..........Well you guys know the rest of the story......

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
New from a dealer with a long warranty!

Life is too short for me to be playing mechanic with my boat!

I don't want any more effort with my boat other than than turning two keys! :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I bought my first boat brand new. Probably paid too much, bought my second one used got a good deal on price found a ton of stuff hidden and rigged. I have put a ton of money in it the only thing that is left that is stock is the block, starter, and transmon housing and gimbal ring that is it. Never again. It will be for sale next year

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
private owner if they seem honest because I want as much history as possible brokers usually now jack sh## and don't go outta there way to find out either, oh ya and there was that one time i drove 4 hours for a "mint" 1989 that was a heap of crap! :angry1:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wouldn't deal with brokers, its a waste of time.
I prefer dealing with a dealer, trade in, no hassle with wondering about forged checks, leins not paid, etc.

I hear ya 89donzi, I flew to Chicago to look at a 42 sonic at a reputable dealer. Flight, rental car cost close to $500 to look at a clean boat. I was 50 feet away from the POS and my first thought was "I would be embarrassed to bring this home". Even the motors weren't what they claimed they were.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just buy direct from the manufacturer. :D

Brian Tillett
Active Thunder Factory Rep.

Web: www.activethunderboats.com
Email: ActiveThunderAVH(a)aol.com

·
Registered
132 Posts
One reason I hear of people going with brokers/dealers is often times you can work out a way to correct any minor repairs (bulbs, switches a blown speaker etc.) within the first week or two of taking the boat in case you missed anything during the sea trial. It is usually the little stuff but that all gets pretty annoying. This route is more expensive though...... I personally would rather find a boat for less $$ that has been well maintained/upgraded from an individual.

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
GO4BROKE said:
I wouldn't deal with brokers, its a waste of time.
I prefer dealing with a dealer, trade in, no hassle with wondering about forged checks, leins not paid, etc.
Like National Marine?

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
I've purchased from owner direct and 2 boats from dealers. All went okay, but the dealers know much less than the original owner about the history. I've sold through a broker and that has gone okay. Trading in is nice, but seems it's never an option for me.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
It doesnt matter who you buy from.

If you are buying a boat, YOU have to be smart enough to look over a boat completely and know if it has been taken care of or not.

A dealer or a private individual- it DOES NOT matter what any of them say, ITS STILL A USED BOAT!!!!!!!!

Common sense says do the research, survey they boat (which is not always dependable), mechanical inspection, etc....It all lies on you to do your homework. If you are relying on the broker/dealer/seller to tell you the boats a great buy, then you deserve what you get. Yes "sellers" are not always truthful, but again, YOU as the buyer have all of the choices, not the "sellers"

If you have to feel all warm and fuzzy because you believe that a private seller is a truthful and honest person about the boats history, then you have other issues to attend with!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Oh, and remeber, there are A LOT of asking prices out there, but most are not selling at that number!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've done both

I'm buying a 1999 Formula 330 SS with 240 hours from a dealer to which the boat was traded in. List was $49900, we agreed on $37500, but that included bottom paint, four new exhaust risers, free shipment to a marina near my home, plus repair of all survey items. I think it is a great deal, but we are currently waiting for the dealer to fix the various items agreed to, so we'll see. So far it has been nine days since sea trial.

I bought my first boat from a private seller, and paid half of his asking price. I was inexperienced, and the boat needed a lot of work, but still a good deal.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Re: I've done both

drynoc said:
I'm buying a 1999 Formula 330 SS with 240 hours from a dealer to which the boat was traded in. List was $49900, we agreed on $37500, but that included bottom paint, four new exhaust risers, free shipment to a marina near my home, plus repair of all survey items. I think it is a great deal, but we are currently waiting for the dealer to fix the various items agreed to, so we'll see. So far it has been nine days since sea trial.

I bought my first boat from a private seller, and paid half of his asking price. I was inexperienced, and the boat needed a lot of work, but still a good deal.
that Formula sounds like a hack of a deal

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Re: Re: I've done both

89donzi said:
that Formula sounds like a hack of a deal
There are more and more deals Daily. With the Market unstable, High heating bills and Season ending its a buyers market...

Just if the seller has the loan paid off or down to make the correct deal...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts