Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know if you saw the thread in Gen Boating I blew up my boat, but had already made reservations to leave one week from tomorrow to go up north for a 4 day weekend boating.

I figured no problem....well, by the time I had enough time to pull the motor apart, diagnose what all I would need, order parts, etc. Here it is 6 days from leaving for a trip, and my bare block is on the bench, the pistons arrived today, injectors came today and all other parts are in the basement, and my gaskets, rings, O-Rings, Needle bearings, new filters, water seperator, impellers, etc are en route.

When am I going to have time to put the motor together, get at least an hour or two of break in time on it, and be ready to leave wednesday night after work? I haven't even started on prepping the trailer, packing, planning, etc......

Should be a fun 7 day thrash fest :D I hope I have time for some beer :D

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Yeah, I decided to change my gimbal ring two weeks before the 4th of July. Got it all back together and discovered I had somehow punctured the shift cable boot. That Thursday before leaving I'm pulling the drive again and when I'm pulling the shift cable the bracket breaks (it's plastic). No one in Dallas carries one, finally call the last place I can think of and the guy has everything I need. Finished around 8pm the night before we leave. Not the best way to start a long weekend. Best of luck, I feel for ya!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I have to admit buying a new boat under warranty for the first time has been really nice. I polished it once, have wiped it down after each use, checked the oil, and put gas in it. oh I had to put air in the trailer tires and top off the brake fluid. Other than that it has been all boating!!!!!

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I have often asked myself the same question... Its more work than play ANYDAY of the week... But I love it sooooo

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aggressor Tom said:
I have to admit buying a new boat under warranty for the first time has been really nice. I polished it once, have wiped it down after each use, checked the oil, and put gas in it. oh I had to put air in the trailer tires and top off the brake fluid. Other than that it has been all boating!!!!!
I hear that, my hull is still under warranty for 4 more years, but the motor only had 1 year to begin with, and I certainly won't be buying a new motor every summer.....

pop goes the outboard and the outboard goes pop....luckily it was "fairly" cheap to get parts for.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And of course stuff goes wrong during the rebuild.....

Merc puts a "ring" like "crank seal" on the crank in this outboard, and of course while rotating the crank to install a piston/rod assembly one of the crank seals snapped......$4 part, but I doubt anyone has it in stock......

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Cause we work better under pressure! :D

I did the same thing snowmobiling a couple winters ago. Squeaked it a week before a UP trip. Ripped it down on Sunday, overnighted the cylinders and ordered parts on Monday. Cylinders came back Thursday morning and I put it together that afternoon. Started it, bled the coolant, loaded it up and off to the UP I went. Ran great all weekend! :D

Fortunately the only thing I have had "break" on my boats in the last 6 years is a fuel pump relay, a power steering belt and a few sets of trailer brakes. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overnighted Crankshaft Ring seals this morning, hopeing to have motor put back together tomorrow....

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Well, you guys certainly should not get into any competitive racing then. It will fry your brain, your body, and anything else attached mentally or physically.

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

Good luck
UP_ROKTOY !!!!!

There's been 100,000,000,000 + people in your shoes and thus rooting for you of coarse ! :D

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Powerhead is fully assembled, will drop on the boat after work tomorrow and finish up wiring (starter adn such), shifter cables, fule lines, and take for a test spin.

I just might make my vacation on time :laugher:

·
Registered
836 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
Powerhead is fully assembled, will drop on the boat after work tomorrow and finish up wiring (starter adn such), shifter cables, fule lines, and take for a test spin.

I just might make my vacation on time :laugher:
Sounds good! Did you get the bad gas out of the tank? I found a place near me with ethanol free gas. I noticed a huge difference in mileage.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
90Velocity said:
Sounds good! Did you get the bad gas out of the tank? I found a place near me with ethanol free gas. I noticed a huge difference in mileage.
No, thats still on my to do list.

Drop powerhead on boat, connect shifter, wiring, throttle, oil tank, etc.

Drain Bad Gas, put it in truck, install latches on cowl, wash boat, test ride, go on vacation....we'll see what happens. the plan is to leave tomorrow morning, so I'll have time.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Cause we are addicted....

BTW it happens with Bikes too - Bike runs great for 9 months...the weekend before a trip to the smokies the battery fries, stator is toast, and it is a really tough part to find. We end up getting it fedex'd to the B&B we are driving 10 hours to stay at and fix the thing on the trailer in their parking lot....at least with a bike in the mountains if it doesnt work, you glide down hill and get a beer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thats how I found some of my best suppliers is when i'm in a bind and I have to call 100 different places to look for parts ;) Eventually you find one that has everything under the sun and you stick with 'em!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Duke69 said:
I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one to do this.

Hope everything worked out!
Nope, it blew the same two cylinders in the same fashion during the test ride. I have an issue that I was unable to track down during the rebuild, and also during the hose test on the driveway, but it reared its ugly head at 4-5,000 RPM on the lake.

I don't currently know the cause of my lean condition, what I do know is I'm done boating for the year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts