Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many guys have windshield ,windscreens,farrings or whatever.

Advantages/disadvantages?????

My boat has a small plexiglass windshield-smoked so you really can't see through it. When sitting in the bolster,my head is way above . This makes for tanning your face,a whole lot easier:D
(advantage :laugh: )

I like the way boats look without windshields(sportier) but there is one disadvantage . At present there is no way to attach a bimini top in case you get caught in the rain.
{It's never happend to me ,only downpours and 70 mph winds}

I hope this year to get something custom made to correct this minor flaw:laugher:

Any thoughts-comments-wanna call me names ????
Will consider all offers:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
You really shouldnt open yourself up for critisism that way !!!!:D :D :D

Personally I like a windshield, especially in Chicago, I can go boating in the 5o's and just duck behing the windshield, or put up the convertable top, I have a full enclosure to saty nice and warm,,,if its 90 degrees out, I just drop the bolster and stand, and I get the wind in my face,,,, best of both worlds really !!!

Now boatnuts doesnt look bad with just the smoked plaxi screen,,,,but a flatdeck boat with nothing just looks unfinished to me,,,,,,,,, guess thats why they make so many different kins of boats right !!!????

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have adjustable windscreens. In our climate I have occasionally wished for a windshield. The windscreens do the job just fine when it's warm though. It is much less tiring running for 15 to 20 minutes at a time at 55 without getting your face wind blasted. :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Boatnut, I think you need a WW2 Jeep windshield. Up for rain, down for "In The Wind".
Add some camo paint to your boat and its all set. :D

:gunner: :bandit:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now there's a thought. Why didn't I think of that?:laugher:

That's the reason I love this board,so many good ideas flowing:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
His boat is already camoflaged,,,, as long as,,,,,,,,,, awww never mind, I'm in a good mood, I can't do it !!!!!;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
My boat has a clear wind sheild and in the winter time I use windaways to keep the wind off my face.:cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Those little clamp on things you were looking at

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
The Sunsation has a nice fairing. It works really well, but I do wear goggles when driving. The air turbulence around my sun glasses bothers me so the goggles work great.

The only advantage I see to a windshield is protection from rain drops. Most wrap around windshields on performance boats are for cosmetic reasons primarily.

However, Formulas seem to have nice windshields. I don't know how well they work though. My old Scarab that Keith now owns had a windshield, but I don't think it was very functional for beaing able to see through for navigation purposes.

I personally prefer a fairing on a performance boat. One of the things that really attracted Karen and I to the Sunsation was the painted fairing.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
1boatnut,
Look in the Adds section in Hot Boat Mag there are in the back of the mag. Of coarse I went the cheap route and made mine out of Plexi Glass and used small clamps to hold to the windshield. Worked well on the News Years Day Poker Run here in Washington. Really should call them "Rain off your face" instead of windaway. :lick: :) :lick:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff,I saw the fairing on your boat in another thread. Looks sharp.
I do agree,I think performance boats look better without windshields. But they do serve a purpose

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Actually, you can get a windshield on a Sunsation now to !!! I will say from expierience,,, at least on my Baja with my full canvas up, I stay mighty dry, and can drive home at least without getting pelted with rain !!! Rain-x is a must though !!!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
mine has one but I rarely use it. Usually looking above it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts