Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am really good at getting in way over my head and I think I did it. I know nothing about boating except the zodiacs we use. So I get a great idea.. Get a boat to have fun on between my wife's deployments and mine. How hard can it be right? So I get the boat, a 21 ft Glasstream for an extremely reasonable price then I get in to it and voila!! Bunch of stuff I have no idea about. I am great in a fishing boat with a outboard and basic terminology I can handle but all the buttons??? I am sure i can figure it out but never hurts to ask. What the heck is the difference between the trim and tilt? The little stick that says BOW DOWN/UP, STARBOARD DOWN/UP, etc... Bilge pump?? Not quite there yet. I am quite mechanically inclined but the water aspect of travel has managed to elude me, so I am here. Please feel free to treat me as your own child you are teaching no worries, I learn quick. Also I learned if you run a engine out of the water, you ruin your water pump and exhaust bellows. How 'bout that.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
ozziencara said:
Well, I am really good at getting in way over my head and I think I did it. I know nothing about boating except the zodiacs we use. So I get a great idea.. Get a boat to have fun on between my wife's deployments and mine. How hard can it be right? So I get the boat, a 21 ft Glasstream for an extremely reasonable price then I get in to it and voila!! Bunch of stuff I have no idea about. I am great in a fishing boat with a outboard and basic terminology I can handle but all the buttons??? I am sure i can figure it out but never hurts to ask. What the heck is the difference between the trim and tilt? The little stick that says BOW DOWN/UP, STARBOARD DOWN/UP, etc... Bilge pump?? Not quite there yet. I am quite mechanically inclined but the water aspect of travel has managed to elude me, so I am here. Please feel free to treat me as your own child you are teaching no worries, I learn quick. Also I learned if you run a engine out of the water, you ruin your water pump and exhaust bellows. How 'bout that.
First thing...boater safety course. Thats THE most important thing that you can do being a new boater. In some states the course lowers your insurance.
Then, grab a book about boating, it will help with the terminology, some rope tying techniques...etc.etc.

then....and only then, buy a handle of Captain and you'll know everything you need to know about boating!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do an annual boating safety course simply for fishing purposes, the Army is pretty stringent on safety. As far as the operation of the boat in traffic, wakes, choppy/wavy water, approaches to objectives and overall safety of all personnel I am relatively comfortable. However it is the technical aspects of the boat itself that I am not familiar with. The adjustment of the trim/tilt and some of the other components that are not familiar to me. I will definitely redo the safety course and ask some questions that apply more to the performance side of the house but I would also appreciate some technical guidance. Such as if I have trim and tilt switches on the throttle but I also have what appears to be a double tap that has the bow up/down, stern up/down etc (silver 4 way toggle that has ajustments for all 4 sides)... How would I go about actually adjusting so the boat planes well and I can cut through vs bounce? What exactly is the purpose of a bilge pump? Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
ozziencara said:
I do an annual boating safety course simply for fishing purposes, the Army is pretty stringent on safety. As far as the operation of the boat in traffic, wakes, choppy/wavy water, approaches to objectives and overall safety of all personnel I am relatively comfortable. However it is the technical aspects of the boat itself that I am not familiar with. The adjustment of the trim/tilt and some of the other components that are not familiar to me. I will definitely redo the safety course and ask some questions that apply more to the performance side of the house but I would also appreciate some technical guidance. Such as if I have trim and tilt switches on the throttle but I also have what appears to be a double tap that has the bow up/down, stern up/down etc (silver 4 way toggle that has ajustments for all 4 sides)... How would I go about actually adjusting so the boat planes well and I can cut through vs bounce? What exactly is the purpose of a bilge pump? Thank you for your advice.
Bilge pump pumps out water you have in the bilge, should have 2 selections, manual and auto, auto works with a float in the bilge, once it gets too high it turns on. Manual overrides the float and runs no matter what...leave it on auto.
trim is used at its most basic definition is meant to level a boat, if it's leaning left(port) then you put the port tab down until it levels off, vice versa. Tilt/trailor lifts thedrive itself. When coming out of the hole, have your tilt all the way down, when you get on plane start raising it. This alows the bow to "lift" out of the water, allowing less water to meet the boat. This gives you better performance. Tabs should be in the level position while planing. You can use the tabs to help with chine walking and rough water as well.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
ammaddon said:
Bilge pump pumps out water you have in the bilge, should have 2 selections, manual and auto, auto works with a float in the bilge, once it gets too high it turns on. Manual overrides the float and runs no matter what...leave it on auto.
trim is used at its most basic definition is meant to level a boat, if it's leaning left(port) then you put the port tab down until it levels off, vice versa. Tilt/trailor lifts thedrive itself. When coming out of the hole, have your tilt all the way down, when you get on plane start raising it. This alows the bow to "lift" out of the water, allowing less water to meet the boat. This gives you better performance. Tabs should be in the level position while planing. You can use the tabs to help with chine walking and rough water as well.
Additionally, the bouncing you refer to is called porpousing (sp). This happens for a few reasons, it happens with mine if I have my trim up and am going to slow. Some boats inherently pourpose. Trim tabs can help a little with that as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
welcome aboard. Boating is great and the people here are nice (they sure have been to me) if i can help u let me know.
Soon you'll be wanting to go over !)) mph lmao!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the info. That will help me greatly as soon as I replace the impeller and the exhaust bellows. I would assume that most of the trim can be simplified by good weight distribution. As far as adjusting the tilt.. Is this something I will continue to adjust as I operate the boat at varying speeds or once it has planed and I lift the bow slightly out of water it can remain there until I back off the throttle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In this day and age, might be hard to believe, but I have never been on one of these information exchange websites. I do appreciate being taken in so well and look forward to learning more as I break more things. I figure if I can get a few good weeks or months in before I go away or my wife goes away and continue that trend, it is definitely worth it for us and the kids.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
ozziencara said:
Thank you so much for the info. That will help me greatly as soon as I replace the impeller and the exhaust bellows. I would assume that most of the trim can be simplified by good weight distribution. As far as adjusting the tilt.. Is this something I will continue to adjust as I operate the boat at varying speeds or once it has planed and I lift the bow slightly out of water it can remain there until I back off the throttle?
Bring it up until you get 2 things chime walking (bouncing side to side) or the drive loses water, you'll feel that...boat slows down, rpms go up. Once either of these happens, bring the drive down a little until the boat feels stable or is biting the water.
You'll find your playing with the trim for a bit until you find your sweet spot. Just remember, when you bring the trim up, you will be compensating the wheel a bit for the rotation of the motor, so when you plan on slowing down, start dropping your drive or it will **** to the right real hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also when it comes to saltwater vs freshwater ops. Is it a reasonable assumption that I should be able to use the boat in both as long as I flush immediately after? I live way too close to FL to be able to resist the urge.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
ozziencara said:
Also when it comes to saltwater vs freshwater ops. Is it a reasonable assumption that I should be able to use the boat in both as long as I flush immediately after? I live way too close to FL to be able to resist the urge.
I am a freshwater person myself...I do know flushing both the boat and the trailer are suggested. Saltwater people want to chime in?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts